Skip to main content

Be Still & Know


And the real truth begins here...

God is really challenging me in this season to be still and know that He is God! I recognize and understand the God part, because there is no denying that he is God...that is an indisputable fact right there. There is no God but God...Jehovah! However, it is the being still that I struggle with. To be honest, I like to be "in the know", I like details! What woman doesn't? I have this desire to be in control and to control oftentimes than most, and sometimes that desire goes overboard but I don't mean any harm, but somehow the harm is already done because of my great zeal and passion to see things go the way, I planned!

Yes, I must admit that I have my own plans and I want what I want, when I want it...but, alas, real life comes flooding in and we don't always get what we want, when we want it and how we want it. We don't get to know the what's and how's of what God is,doing in our lives and the truth is...he does not have to tell us.

The not telling is the hardest part for me, he can at least throw out a hint, or give me a glimpse of the future. Sometimes he does and sometimes he don't. It is in those times of great strategic and life altering decisions God usually holds his peace. It is in these moments we have to be still and know that God is God.

I suffered a breakup recently and going through the turmoil and heartache of it all. I prayed beforehand, during and after...Yes, I took it to God, I plead the blood, I forgiven, I confessed, I attempted to right wrongs and fix what I thought was broken, but then I came faced to face with another failed relationship. It is funny how this relationship was one of the worst and one of my best relationships at the same time. I saw how God used certain moments to teach me, to challenge me in my faith. But there was one thing that I must admit that I did not do as he commanded me to do, and that is to Be Still & Know!

I just could not allow myself to be still, I could not allow myself to trust in the supremacy and the providence of God. I had to help him fix it, I had to do something about something, and something about nothing. I had to speak when he said to be silent, because that is my nature. I had to confront when he said to release and let it go. I was everything but Still! 

So, I must admit my failure to trust God to be God. I learned a hard lesson this time around.

Now, what am really trying to say in all my pontification, is that the best of us as Christians and believers have our share of test and battles and although we are bible-believing, prayer and worship warriors, we all have our our flaws and weakness that God is trying to perfect his work in us. We are often transformed and changed by the greatest of our challenges and mistakes. I believe, what God is doing in us is to build us in our faith and to challenge us to trust in Him completely.

I read this from a blog recently by John J. Parsons, so I extracted from his writings, which I believe sums up what I am trying to say. I share the except below:

"AS THE CLIMAX of Psalm 46, this verse is not so much about meditation as it is about the mediation of God's kingdom in the heart of faith. The command to "be still" comes from the Hiphil stem of the verb (רפה) rapha (meaning to be weak, to let go, to release), which might better be translated as, "cause yourselves to let go" or "let yourselves become weak" (in poetic contexts, the noun form rephai'im was sometimes used as a synonym for "the place of the dead").

But to what end are we to "be still," "let go," "surrender," and even to "die to ourselves"? In Hebrew grammar, the emphasis of coordinate imperatives ("be still!" and "know!") is on the second imperative. In other words, we surrender in order to know that God is in control as Ribbono Shel Olam – the Master of the Universe. We "let go" in order to objectively know the saving power of God in our lives. We give up trusting in ourselves and our own designs in order to experience the glory of God's all-sufficiency (Ex 14:14)."

To Be Still and Know is to our benefit...
It is for us to let go, and release those things that we know we can't handle and our not what we are called to bear.

Here's a newsflash for us...We are not carriers and fixers! I just took a breath on that statement! (That is a release for me, right there).  We have a God that we can depend on and cast all our cares upon. 

I don't know what each of you, who may have read this blog have experienced this year or the last few years. I know for the last several years, I had been tested in many areas and these years were the hardest for me, if I were to be honest. Although, I had the moments of crying out, reeling with pain and battling my fears, God was there through it all, even though I thought he was not or  I assumed he was standing off somewhere faintly in the distance. He lent his presence to me and spoke to me in his own still way. He was challenging me to Be Still and Know! 

It is in the knowing that God is God, and that he will do exactly what he promised that he will do according to His word. His word shall not return void and His promises concerning you and I would come to fulfillment.

Finally, in the midst of our stillness is where we have to exercise our faith. When it does not look right, when all hell breaks loose and it seems that the battles just won't quit. We then have to remember what 2 Corinthians 5:7 says, For we walk by faith, not by sight.

I pray that in all of the changing scenes of life, you would hear His word clearly
speaking in your Spirit...Be Still and Know that I am God...and know that he has you!

Unveiled to Be Transformed
-Keisha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mean It!

  Hello, is this thing on?🎤 Well, it has been a while since I have released a blog post. The reason is that I have not been inspired to write much of anything lately. When I tell you the season I was in, from a personal perspective was a dry season. it was a period of being off the grid and staying in the shadows. It was the season of my detox. It required me to be poured into rather than pouring out myself.  Lately, I found myself searching and in desperate need of something different. I needed more!   Now, I want to qualify my statement, by simply stating that I needed more than the norm. More for my life! My professional life, my spiritual life, and my personal life required me to seek beyond my normal. I was... no I am intentional about my next season being way different than before. I cannot get away with a mediocre outlook on life because I want more of what life has to offer.  I want to be more. I want to experience more. I am not speaking from the materialistic or influential

Unspoken Words...I Broke Down Today!!!

So how's this for a reel...real talk, real truth and real emotions... I Broke Down Today!!! Some would say, I had a meltdown while others would say I lost total control of my emotions. I would have been deemed emotional and yet I was unashamed... I baled, I balled, I cried out in desperation because of hurt, pain, mishandling and misinformation. You see days before I was walking tall, proud that I was keeping it all together. For what though, for a world that is growing colder and callous every day. Now has me wondering, do people truly care about people. The world today is not the world that I dreamt about...a world of peace, love, unity, equality, equity and family togetherness...just the sound of it seems farfetched now. But yet I still have a dream... that one day tings gonna get better...like the good Bishop says. I broke down today because family is not the same anymore, so much  division, so much strife, no unity and I am asking where is the love that once was had. I broke d

Live Free: Getting Rid of Toxic Connections

I hate to admit the obvious, but I am still learning how life, love and all things in between work. I must confess that I will forever be a life-long learner until the day I die. One thing I've recently discovered for certain is that we are responsible for what we bring into our lives. We are responsible for the types of relationships we have and the people we are associated with. I am aware of how toxic people can be and how we must truly guard our peace at all costs. The older you get, the more baggage you carry. Unfortunately, if the weight is not offloaded, it becomes heavier and heavier. You can then unload on an unwitting victim. On this blog, I've often mentioned introspection and doing the work on yourself before you can help anyone else. However, for clarity and emphasis, you must prioritize your personal development and healing. This comes with the understanding and knowledge that some people are not your assignment and you are not required to help them improve. Geesh