Skip to main content

The Image of Success

I was thinking the other day, how the world is so inudated with success stories, social media posts from businesses, entrepreneurs, motivational speakers, preachers and the average Joe. All of these people showcasing and highlighting the successes in their lives.

THE IMAGE OF SUCCESS
It lets me know that many people are working and living purposeful lives... or so it seems. As many share stories that warrant the attention and the likes of others, saying, look at me, this is what I am doing. I must be successful as I just spoke to a room of 1000 people the other day and I have over 5000 friends and over 100,000 views.

Today, more than ever, the world is out doing a whole lot of phenomenal things. It amazes me the good that I see paraded by many persons especially on social media. The many pages of experts and authorities on life, health, love, wealth and business is phenomenal. I may venture to say that over the last decade social media has built and exposed a whole lot of people.

Lately, I started to contemplate, and exclaimed to myself, on how we have a lot of successful people in the world.There are a whole lot of "doing" going on and that should be celebrated.

But I also observe that if your calendar is not full, or you on not on the speaking circuit, or have your face draped across a poster constantly does it mean that one is not successful.

I think of a stay at home mom raising two children, whose day is surrounded making sure her kids are safe, cared for and taught. She is the essence of at least several careers  and later on she takes on the role of wife to her husband when he returns home. I see this woman volunteering her time to help with projects, at times giving silent  support. I bet she feels mighty good about all that she does and claims each day it is worth it.

How about that preacher that gives perhaps more than he can give. Everytime members or someone in the community calls, he shows up, gives support and an encouraging word. He visits the sick, opts to pay the groceries of another and gives more to the church than he is getting in return...yes, those type of preachers do exist. They are the one who is holding up the end of the Gospel that says that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

What about the young man who gets his hustle on, he is not robbing stealing or killing, he decided to become a street vendor. It is his desire to make an honest living as he is trying to help his family. He has no college degree or certifications but he understands that hard work pays off and is willing to work and not look for a handout.

I guess what it boils down to is this, that just because one may not have the world's version of success, marketing, promotion, likes and all...it does not mean that they are far less successful by their standards.

I feel people have become so engrossed in self and their accomplishments rather than they forgot that its not money, fame or wealth that makes you successful. I love this quote by Mother Theresa, when she said " God has not called me to be successful...he called me to be faithful."

I am happy that many people are finding success and the joy in living purpose driven lives but I truly hope that it is purposeful rather than just being driven. As at the end of one's life it will matter, as a familiar scripture from the bible says, " What does it profit a man to gain, the whole world and lose his soul?"

And I also remember my grandmother saying this to me so many times as a young girl, she would say, Keisha, only what you do for Christ would last!

I guess as I grow older and wiser, I think I understand why she would drill those words into us as children.

For what really matters in life is not creating your portfolio or defining your image of success, it truly matters where you stand at the end of eternity. Sadly, no one speaks about the end of life and what comes after...what would you leave behind, what would your legacy be...what would be your final destination and outcome of your life?

Some chase careers, some build brands, some create their personal and business personas while some are content with serving the poor, taking care of the home, volunteering at schools...and at the end of the day they all feel accomplished.

The world does need a chill button because those who chose the latter are judged intently because of their willingness to choose a simple, normal life without the constant grind of going, going, going!!!

I am learning everyday to stay focused, to be intentional, focused and simply take it one day at a time Also, I'm very careful not to judge someone's life because it does not add up to my image of success.

Life is what you make it and you should choose to live it any way you want and on your own terms...but may I suggest that you live your life in a way that adds value to you as well as others. In my opinion, anyone who lives this way is the epitome of success.

"Try not to become a man of success,
but rather try to become a man of value."-Albert Einstein


Unveiled To Be Transformed
-Keisha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mean It!

  Hello, is this thing on?🎤 Well, it has been a while since I have released a blog post. The reason is that I have not been inspired to write much of anything lately. When I tell you the season I was in, from a personal perspective was a dry season. it was a period of being off the grid and staying in the shadows. It was the season of my detox. It required me to be poured into rather than pouring out myself.  Lately, I found myself searching and in desperate need of something different. I needed more!   Now, I want to qualify my statement, by simply stating that I needed more than the norm. More for my life! My professional life, my spiritual life, and my personal life required me to seek beyond my normal. I was... no I am intentional about my next season being way different than before. I cannot get away with a mediocre outlook on life because I want more of what life has to offer.  I want to be more. I want to experience more. I am not speaking from the materialistic or influential

Unspoken Words...I Broke Down Today!!!

So how's this for a reel...real talk, real truth and real emotions... I Broke Down Today!!! Some would say, I had a meltdown while others would say I lost total control of my emotions. I would have been deemed emotional and yet I was unashamed... I baled, I balled, I cried out in desperation because of hurt, pain, mishandling and misinformation. You see days before I was walking tall, proud that I was keeping it all together. For what though, for a world that is growing colder and callous every day. Now has me wondering, do people truly care about people. The world today is not the world that I dreamt about...a world of peace, love, unity, equality, equity and family togetherness...just the sound of it seems farfetched now. But yet I still have a dream... that one day tings gonna get better...like the good Bishop says. I broke down today because family is not the same anymore, so much  division, so much strife, no unity and I am asking where is the love that once was had. I broke d

Live Free: Getting Rid of Toxic Connections

I hate to admit the obvious, but I am still learning how life, love and all things in between work. I must confess that I will forever be a life-long learner until the day I die. One thing I've recently discovered for certain is that we are responsible for what we bring into our lives. We are responsible for the types of relationships we have and the people we are associated with. I am aware of how toxic people can be and how we must truly guard our peace at all costs. The older you get, the more baggage you carry. Unfortunately, if the weight is not offloaded, it becomes heavier and heavier. You can then unload on an unwitting victim. On this blog, I've often mentioned introspection and doing the work on yourself before you can help anyone else. However, for clarity and emphasis, you must prioritize your personal development and healing. This comes with the understanding and knowledge that some people are not your assignment and you are not required to help them improve. Geesh