Skip to main content

The Big Chop...it's all about Risks!!!

ALL NATURAL...ME!!!

October was a month that propelled me into something different...I did it!
I did the Big Chop!
Anybody who knows me know I may be a little bit of a prima donna or a better choice of word that my friends would describe me as...DIVA!

I usually love changing up my hairstyles from braids, chic cuts, weaves and having a blast with colour. My deep propensity for change is where a lot of my problems began..I'm the one that loves to try something new and often seek adventures.

Recently, I had  this notion after the passing of Hurricane Matthew to do something different with my life, so I ended up chopping off my hair. Truth is, I had done enough damage through chemical processing, over bleaching my tresses that my hair had almost given up on life. I finally decided after much thought and reservations to step out on a limb and risk it.

What was I risking anyway? I was taking a risk by stepping into the unknown and doing something that I never did before, embracing my full self. Like many would say "going natural."

Let me tell you, I was afraid of starting over again, and being uncomfortable. As for many their hair is their comfort zone and with the idea of straighter is better, much more beautiful and appealing, those arguments in support of the straight, sleeker look, would cause many people to deny their true self and not embrace who they really are.

Perhaps, it was years of indoctrination, commercialization, and discrimination which had many persons of color like myself not accept the fact that they could don their own natural crown.

So I commenced the "Big Chop" I did it afraid...fearing that this would be one of the worst decisions of my life. I sought counsel and support from a veteran naturalista...thanks Drea!

But then it happened, my risk paid off. I felt free from the salon and the fact that I had to budget for my relaxed hairstyle, weaves and braids.

It was a liberating feeling and although I thought I was not going to be fully embraced, surprisingly I was by so many, strangers, family and friends alike...they liked me, just the way I am.

So if you are thinking of taking risks and unveiling your natural self, don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and making moves towards doing something different with your life.

My different might have been my hair, but yours could be going after that dream you had deferred for a while, Dust off those plans and begin to move forward and don't be afraid to risk it all. The world awaits risk takers and it will pay off in the end...

I am smiling ever so sweetly now...Natural Hair and all!!!
Embracing myself...just the way I Am!

Unveiled to Be Transformed
-Keisha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to My Only Son...

Shared this post on my Facebook page and thought I'd just share with readers on my blog. Mother's Day has a way of causing people to reflect on life as we know it, the best thing about that day was to sit down and penned these words to my son. An Open Letter to My Son To My Only Son... I thought deep and hard about writing this letter on Mother's Day when it is a day where we celebrate all that is good about mothers.Truth is, son Mothers are not perfect, although we often pretend we are. Having you 18 years ago, I was not prepared for it at all. You came into this world without even a wince or cry, you stayed silent until I took you home and then you discovered your lungs, you let loosed on me and everything in your path, enormous shrilling sounds of a baby wanting attention. Dear Son... I learned as I went along, trying to figure out how a young mother at 21 could navigate her path with a baby in tow. I prayed for you long before you burst onto the s...

A Soft Place to Land

There is a specific kind of silence that follows a blow from someone you love. It’s not the silence of peace; it’s the heavy, suffocating silence of a heart trying to process why the hands meant to hold it are the very ones trying to break it.    I write today because I need to breathe. I write because, if I don't, the weight of these burdens might just pull me under. The Pain of the Hidden Truth We’ve all been there. You look at the person you admire most, the one you’ve cheered for in every season, and you realize they are using their words not to build you up, but to cut you down. It is a staggering irony: those we honor often choose to meet us with dishonor. I’ve spent so many nights wondering why the people closest to us become our greatest battlefields instead of our safe harbors. We talk about faith, we speak of grace, and we acknowledge that none of us are perfect—but shouldn't time count for something? I hoped for maturity. I hoped they would see the "evol...

Love Your Own Way!

We all have an idea about what we want out of life! We may have plans specifically tailored for us, bit by bit, inch by inch, profile by profile. Our plans act as a guide or our mandate for what we want out of life and then life happens. We often settle because we conclude nothing and no one is perfect. Now although that is true, when it comes to love and life, my only recommendation is love your own way and hopefully you would find the right person loving you right back in their own way. Despite, what people may say or the rules on love and relationships, stick to your truth and love your way, wholly, purely, completely and as one of my favorite love songs says...Truly, Madly, Deeply! Unveiled to Be Transformed -Keisha