Skip to main content

An Open Letter to My Only Son...

Shared this post on my Facebook page and thought I'd just share with readers on my blog.

Mother's Day has a way of causing people to reflect on life as we know it, the best thing about that day was to sit down and penned these words to my son.




An Open Letter to My Son
To My Only Son...
I thought deep and hard about writing this letter on Mother's Day
when it is a day where we celebrate all that is good about mothers.Truth is, son Mothers are not perfect, although we often pretend we are.
Having you 18 years ago, I was not prepared for it at all. You came into this world without even a wince or cry, you stayed silent until I took you home and then you discovered your lungs, you let loosed on me and everything in your path, enormous shrilling sounds of a baby wanting attention.
Dear Son...

I learned as I went along, trying to figure out how a young mother at 21 could navigate her path with a baby in tow. I prayed for you long before you burst onto the scene. I heard my mother pray this simple prayer, Lord, I present my child to you, just as Hannah presented Samuel and often even to this day, I simply pray the very same thing.
Son, I taught you how to pray, well, truth is... both your Grandmother and I. I am sure she would take much of the credit as she was Mommy and I was Mommy Keisha. All I really wanted was for you to be taught right, reared right, survive childhood and see you grow up into a good man.
You are at legal age right now and all the training and rearing is over, I could only appeal to you as my man child.
There are a few things on this Mother's Day, I would want you to know and remember:
Son, be respectful, have manners, let your yes be a yes and you no, be a no. I hope you are a man of integrity, where many fail, I pray that you will succeed.
Son, the world is glamourous and there are many things that are vying for your attention. I am reminded of that verse that says, "Remember thy Creator in the days of your Youth? You know that phrase that say You Only Live Once (YOLO)! Yes, God has given you a set time to live on this earth and I hope that you would make the best choices for you life. Yes, as much as I dislike it, from this point on, the choice is yours and Mommy has to step back and allow you to grow, but if I can leave this with you, my Grandmother used to say this all the time..." Only what you do for Christ will last" I hope you never forget that statement, because it is true.
Son, be slow to anger, learn to forgive and let go. Learn to be the first to say sorry, I know this is hard for you, but apologizing and admitting you are wrong shows maturity and strength. An unforgiving person cannot be forgiven, so learn to let go and open your heart and spirit to forgiveness.
.
Son, Pride goeth before destruction, sometimes in our conversations, I always remind you of that, many people often cannot see this but pride has caused the downfall of many great men, and God has called you to Greatness...so beware of a prideful heart and arrogant spirit.
Son, please save for a rainy day, always put away something on the side as you should always have a goal in life. Not sure if you know money answereth all things and it makes the world go round. Just as you work hard, save for something important, don't be beholding to anyone. Leave an inheritance for your children's children. Be your own Boss, this is advice I am learning later on in my life.
Son, respect the women in your life, whether it is your mother, aunts, friends and one day your wife. Honor women, be faithful and be watchful over them.
Son, be kind! I know you have a good heart but often the world teaches us selfish ways. Learn to give to help others, give your tithes, sow your seed, give your offering, support your local church and don't forget to help those in need. God requires that of us as his followers.
Son, be wise and discerning, there are many people who would come as "Wolf in Sheep Clothing" Pay attention to those who are around you. Be careful of associations, some people only come to pull you down and keep you from reaching your destiny.
Son, Dream...chase your dreams! Don't you ever forget that God has endowed you with so many gifts and talents, and there is so much purpose wrapped inside of you. Don't let the negative voices cause you to ever doubt yourself. Believe in yourself!
Son, if I could leave you with one final thing that is more important than everything else, this is what I would say, Put God First! Place your faith in Him. Never forget our prayers, devotions and talks. Pray constantly and for everything. This may sound like a cliche but there is power and prayer. I hope that you would be man of prayer, we need more men like that.
So, on this Mother's Day, I want to take time to remember that God gave me a son that I have grown to love deeply and cherish over these years. A son that inspires me because there is so much potential that is inside of you, screaming to be released to form something great. I know during these 18 years, perhaps I made alot of mistakes along the way. I probably wasn't the best mother who could offer you the world, but I loved you despite of my shortcomings and failures. Son, I Love You and I am so Happy God choose me to be your mother.
Happy Mother's Day!
Love Mom


Unveiled To Be Transformed
-Keisha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mean It!

  Hello, is this thing on?🎤 Well, it has been a while since I have released a blog post. The reason is that I have not been inspired to write much of anything lately. When I tell you the season I was in, from a personal perspective was a dry season. it was a period of being off the grid and staying in the shadows. It was the season of my detox. It required me to be poured into rather than pouring out myself.  Lately, I found myself searching and in desperate need of something different. I needed more!   Now, I want to qualify my statement, by simply stating that I needed more than the norm. More for my life! My professional life, my spiritual life, and my personal life required me to seek beyond my normal. I was... no I am intentional about my next season being way different than before. I cannot get away with a mediocre outlook on life because I want more of what life has to offer.  I want to be more. I want to experience more. I am not speaking from the materialistic or influential

Unspoken Words...I Broke Down Today!!!

So how's this for a reel...real talk, real truth and real emotions... I Broke Down Today!!! Some would say, I had a meltdown while others would say I lost total control of my emotions. I would have been deemed emotional and yet I was unashamed... I baled, I balled, I cried out in desperation because of hurt, pain, mishandling and misinformation. You see days before I was walking tall, proud that I was keeping it all together. For what though, for a world that is growing colder and callous every day. Now has me wondering, do people truly care about people. The world today is not the world that I dreamt about...a world of peace, love, unity, equality, equity and family togetherness...just the sound of it seems farfetched now. But yet I still have a dream... that one day tings gonna get better...like the good Bishop says. I broke down today because family is not the same anymore, so much  division, so much strife, no unity and I am asking where is the love that once was had. I broke d

Live Free: Getting Rid of Toxic Connections

I hate to admit the obvious, but I am still learning how life, love and all things in between work. I must confess that I will forever be a life-long learner until the day I die. One thing I've recently discovered for certain is that we are responsible for what we bring into our lives. We are responsible for the types of relationships we have and the people we are associated with. I am aware of how toxic people can be and how we must truly guard our peace at all costs. The older you get, the more baggage you carry. Unfortunately, if the weight is not offloaded, it becomes heavier and heavier. You can then unload on an unwitting victim. On this blog, I've often mentioned introspection and doing the work on yourself before you can help anyone else. However, for clarity and emphasis, you must prioritize your personal development and healing. This comes with the understanding and knowledge that some people are not your assignment and you are not required to help them improve. Geesh